- Built: 1969
- Mid-Life: 1992
- Length: 279'
- Beam: 46'
- Draft (max): 16.6'
- Gross Tonnage: 2,516 tons
- Displacement: 2,944 long tons
- Crew: 23
- Scientific berthing: 38
- Motors: Two 1,385 hp Propulsion General Electric
- Bow Thruster: 900 hp Retractable Azimuthing Thruster
- Propulsion: Two 1385 hp Z-Drive Lips
- Water Capacity: 15,900 gal
- Incinerator: Yes
- Fuel Consumption: 3,600 gal/day (transit)
- Speed, Cruising: 11.7 knots
- Speed, Maximum: 14 knots
- Speed, Minimum: variable to 0, any direction
- Endurance: 40 days at 11.7 knots (fuel)
- Range: 10,061 nm at 11.7 knots (fuel)
- Fuel Capacity: 129,000 (planning)
- Radio Call Sign: WECB
- Laboratory Space: 2,636 sq. ft
- Main Deck Working Area: 4,050 sq. ft
- Freeboard: 12 ft
- Sewage System: MSD
- Holding Tanks: 8,000 gal
- Document/State I.D#: CF0719XS
Scientific berthing at 38 assumes 2 persons in the chief scientist room, and 4 persons in the dormitory.
Title held by U.S. Navy. Operated under charter agreement with Office of Naval Research.
- GPS Trimble Tansmon P-Code
- GPs Trimble NT 200 DGPS
- RADAR Sperry 3cm, 10cm
- ADU GPs Ashtech Attitude-sensing System
- Fathometer Use EDO Doppler Speed Log
- Gyro - Sperry MK 37, MK 23
- Doppler Speed Log - EDO 300 kHz
- Dynamic Positioning - ROBERTSON
- ADF - SIMRAD Taiyo
Permanent scientific equipment
||12||120 deg. swath, bathymetry and sidescan|
|Sub-Bottom Profiler||Knudsen 320 B||3.5 / 12|
|Magnetometer||Geometrics G-886||Towed Magnetometer|
|Gravity Meter||Bell BGM - 3|
|Underway Data System||Meteorological and Sea Surface|
|Comm / Data Network||Ethernet, Audiovisual in labs and staterooms, F/O and copper links|
|Computer System||Sun Enterprise 450 servers (2)||Solaris and UNIX||200 Gbytes Disk, CD-ROM, DAT and Exabyte Tapes|
|Work Stations||UNIX and PC||Numerous in Labs|
|Printers/ Plotters||Laserjet and color inkjet|
Bioanalytical Lab with precision temperature control. Use of isotopes is prohibited in ship's laboratories. Isotope isolation vans are available by request. Other equipment and technical services available on cruise-specific basis.
Vans: Numerous van placement locations on main deck, winch deck and forward on 02 deck.
Communications: VHF, SSB voice, and INMARSAT voice and data.
In-port San Diego phone number: (858) 534-1646
INMARSAT phone number: 011-872-1503656
INMARSAT fax: 011-872--81-1503656
INMARSAT area code is 872 when ship is in Pacific; other codes are 871, 873, or 874 for east Atlantic, west Atlantic, Indian Ocean.